Saturday, January 10, 2015

Going Vegetarian

   The title to this post might be a little misleading, I am not trying to go full on vegetarian forever but I would like to see if I could do it. We all set these great, extravagant new years resolutions and it's usually one that we weren't able to fulfill the past two years so we think to just try again. We don't realize these little goals we set can be just as fulfilling as the huge ones because we have more of a chance to finish the little goals and we still get that satisfaction of completing them. Instead of saying exercise everyday and working out why not say, I want to lose a few pounds a month or instead of saying find the person you want to marry, say you that will go on a few dates this year. It's just as rewarding to complete anything, especially after graduating college. It's nice to say you can complete anything without your parents breathing down your neck about when you are going to take the GRE.

   With this whole going vegetarian thing, I guess you could say it's a spinoff of one of my resolutions. I made one to eat healthier in general and I thought why not give myself little challenges throughout the year to make sure I'm following my own plan. My roommate is a vegetarian so my first thought was to try that because I knew I would have for her help since I've never done anything like this before. I have a few other challenges that have crossed my mind, but I have thought about doing something like this before so this seemed like the perfect time. I know plenty of people think, I love salads, I could be a vegetarian for sure....That's definitely not the case in this situation. I enjoy salads, but I don't think I could live off of that for a whole week. That's the glorious part that people don't realize, how many options you have as a vegetarian so I'm also looking forward to just opening my eyes about a different lifestyle from mine and gain an experience from it. It's not a big deal, but that's why I'm calling these "mini challenges" because that's what they are. Maybe later in the year I will try for two weeks or even longer depending on how difficult I find how this week will go.

   As we can see by the date at the top of this post it is January 10th and I plan on starting this challenge Sunday, January 11th until the following Sunday January 18th. One of the bigger challenges I see myself facing is just remembering that I am doing this challenge. Eating meat is so second nature to most of us that we don't realize that it's even happening, but we know the minute we start eating something green what's going on. I hope for this to be a nice healthy jumpstart to my year of healthy eating, although I do plan for it continue for much longer, but since I just had surgery a month I am still not able to do much working out wise so this is the best I can do. That's why I'm excited about these mini challenges and I plan on posting almost every other day to keep you updated on the progress of me going vegetarian. I'll put down some meal choices I've done, how hard/easy it's going and just how my health is being affected. If you have any other ideas for mini challenges I can do this year feel free to leave a comment below.

Here to say it,
postgradgay

Jolene // The Weepies

No comments:

Post a Comment