Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Where's Peter Pan When You Need Him?

   Part of me starting this blog was to help me figure out why am I here, what is it I want to do with my life, so far it's been pretty helpful but there was a part of me leading up to where I am now that I was clueless about what I wanted to do. Now that I've graduated I have people asking me what I'm doing, where are you working? I'm a still a server so back off and wipe that look off of your face because for the moment I'm loving it. The thing is, they act so quickly after you graduate. I graduated last May and they were asking me these questions before the end of the month, I'm sure there are people that are more over prepared than I was and did have jobs but I wasn't one of them. I thought about where I wanted to live and how I was going to make a living for myself and right now I'm doing just fine making that living being a server. I've got plenty of big ideas going on in my mind, just have to figure out how to make so many of them happen. I've already started one by starting this blog and I have you all to thank for going on this journey with me.
 
   I've been a college graduate for almost a year now, hold the applause, I love what I got my degree in and I had an amazing time at my undergrad but I look at my life now and I do the inevitable is this what I want to do for the rest of my life? I wouldn't change a thing about college but we are forced to choose a degree so quickly, we can't be one of those people who go in undecided and stay that way for three years!  We tend to make rash and quick decisions and stick it with and you always have that group that will change one to two hundred times over their course as an undergrad. I'm 24 and what I've mainly done with jobs in my young life is working in the service industry, and while I'm sure professional server looks great on a resume I need to find out what I actually want to do. How is it we know what we want to be doing for the rest of our lives? We all have that thought in our head when we have that one bad day, what if there are more bad days, could I handle it, do I want to handle it? For those who don't know, my degree was in education and I have all the respect in the world for teachers, it runs in my blood from both of my amazing parents, so I figured it was something I wanted to do. After experiencing what my teachers and professors did for me and seeing what my parents did for their students I thought it was something I wanted to do...not the case. I was student teaching, which I loved too, but I got to think if this was something I wanted to do for the next 30-40 years and I looked at myself and decided it wasn't. I didn't know what it was I wanted to do, but I knew it wasn't that and I didn't want to lie about that to myself anymore.

   I got my appendix out a couple months ago and it was a scary time for me and I had that epiphany of "Do I want to die being a SERVER?" Well the answer is no and while I was in recovery with my parents taking care of me I finally got time to think about my life and what all I wanted to do with it. It took some time because I've never been passionate about many things in my life when it comes to something you can do as a job. Unless I can become an actor instantly or a camp counselor starts paying a lot better I didn't really know what I wanted to do. This is the moment where a famous person is reading this blog and offers me a job writing or acting. Just ask me for my phone number and you got it! That epiphany really put me on the right track and it made me want to go to grad school, which I will hopefully be starting in the fall, and it also made me realize there is never a rush to figuring out what you want to do. There is nothing wrong with doing odd end jobs until you decide because we all have to pay rent and bills, so be a server, get a job in your field to build your resume, do something because any of these things can help you get to where you want to be. All I know is that we all have to grow up eventually, it's just up to you to decide when.


Here to say it,
postgradgay

Always Take You Back // Night Terrors of 1927

No comments:

Post a Comment