Thursday, February 19, 2015

20 Somethings Are The New Adults

   Sometimes the things we need to hear come from ourselves. We are at that age, I'm assuming most of you reading this are around my age, and we wake up every day not knowing if we know for sure what we want to do with our lives or are we making the right decision with our lives. Well let me tell you, it doesn't get any easier after you graduate and I'm okay with that. We never know if what we are doing with our lives is the right thing or are we even doing a good job at being adults. I love my job and I make a "living", but do other people look at me as a server and think that I'm being an adult or making an living for myself? Probably not, and that's okay with me because this confirmation that you're doing productive things with your life has to first come within yourself. We are all ultimately working towards a goal in our lives. Becoming a college graduate, finding a "real" job, being the person we always thought we would be. This is the time in our lives we get to find out if we are becoming that person. If you're not, look how to make that original plan better, we are welcome to change plans with our lives every day.

    Whenever I wake up I do occasionally think, "Am I being a productive adult? Is there something I can do to seem more like an adult?" The answer is no, because I'm doing pretty damn well by myself already. It's a good thing that I question myself, I'm open to grow and be more open-minded to new situations and what can happen around me. I wouldn't have it any other way because I enjoy being self-aware of who I am and how to be a better person every day. I have a full time job and I can pay my bills on time, something I'm damn proud of because I know this is part of being an adult, this way part of my life as an undergraduate and I know it is the life of many other people I know as well. If you can wake up and you have your own money to pay your bills then you're doing a lot better than plenty of other people out there in the real world so enjoy having that self-confidence in yourself.

   At this point in our lives, close to graduating or already graduating we have to make the mental list of all the things we wish we could tell our younger selves so we wouldn't make all the mistakes we made growing up. The best part, we shouldn't regret any of those mistakes because it puts me in a place now where I can buy things I need, somethings I don't need, pay my rent and for the most part live a life where I am the adult in my life. I love my parents and I know if I ever need them for anything they will be there in a second, but there is a joy of not having to need them to help me with financial or life choices. I know the decisions I need to make down the road in my life and that all falls back on me, no one else. Wake up, look in the mirror each morning and see if that person is someone you are okay with being because you are welcome to change that at any point in your life. Change your degree, go get a new degree, get your master's. find a new job, move to a new city, you are the adult in your life now so it's time to take charge and make these choices based on your happiness. No one else's because you can find someone that makes you happy but your happiness ultimately relies on you because you have to be happy with yourself first.

Here to say it,
postgradgay

Numbers // FKA Twigs

No comments:

Post a Comment