Tuesday, November 24, 2015

So You're Supposed To Be...?

   Couples costumes. There is a lot riding on this each year if you're in a relationship, especially if it is your first Halloween together. It's your first chance to show you all can be crafty, witty, and funny together while still being in on the joke. Here is a thought of mine, make your own joke and go as something completely separate! I know, this is coming from the single guy, and I have no problem doing a couple costume, I'm sure I would happily do one if I was in a relationship. I just don't see the appeal of doing it every year.

   I have been single for a while so I'm used to having free range on what I want to do as my costume and not having to worry about going as a couple, unless it's with a friend, where sometimes you can be a couple costume and still be free standing on your own and not everyone wonder where the other half of your costume is! Even though I'm gay I thought about going as Cosmo from The Fairly Oddparents for Halloween this year with no Wanda. My whole thought process was, 
"Would everyone ask me where Wanda is all night? Would the costume make as much sense? Would people get the joke?"
These are the thoughts running through my head and it's something I didn't want to worry about, so on the off chance a couple gets separated at a party or bar would these be the ongoing questions for them all night? I'm perfectly okay with going as a costume meant for one person and just enjoying the night instead of worrying about people getting the reference, should I stand by him in a group photo, is it really that big of a deal? The answer is, it's not, these are just the things that go through my head and I decide to share with the world.

   I have seen so many creative couples costumes that I have been jealous of, doesn't mean I'm jumping at the chance to try it, just means I'm not against the idea, it just means I would hate to be put in that bubble of people assuming you have to go as a costume together. Why not alternate each year? Or even never do it? Halloween is a time to really show some creativity and plenty of individuality so why not show some? This was a short, sweet, and to the point post but I haven't said anything in a while and Halloween wasn't too long ago so this was still fresh in my mind.


Here to say it,
postgradgay

Flesh Without Blood // Grimes

No comments:

Post a Comment