Saturday, March 21, 2015

It's Only An Echo

   Do you ever wonder why we can't look in the mirror without pointing out ten new flaws in ourselves we find each morning? Some of them might be small like a new pimple or you're just realizing one eye is slightly bigger than the other or bigger like noticing you might want to get a nose job, or just shave your head because your hair just isn't doing what you want it to that day. The worst part is that it's our own voices talking to us when we look in the mirror, that's us just talking to ourselves and we shouldn't be doing that, put the demon to rest. We live in a world where if you ask someone to write down all the things someone loves about themselves and all of the things they want to change then that list is going to be much longer of negative qualities.

   It's not something you can do overnight, but it is something we need to work on everyday. I'm not saying this is fixed by going to the gym or redoing your wardrobe, we all will deal with a situation like this in our own ways. It's just up to you to find out which way is right for you. I know since the beginning of the year and having my scar from my appendectomy I've had to work on myself and tell that voice in my head to leave me alone and let me work on myself on my own time because little by little I am enjoying looking in the mirror. I still see flaws, things I wish I could change, just wanting to throw the mirror on the ground, but you can't because then that voice in your head wins. You just have to realize you're beautiful, just think of all the things our parents told us when we were little; "you can do anything you set your mind to, you were the best tree ever in your school play, you should have more playing time, keep up the good work." They were right and I know we don't like to admit that too often, but most of the time our parents know what they are talking about so take a page out of their book and use it in your everyday life.

   Find that other voice in your head, because it's still yours, that thinks that new outfit looks amazing on you, that realizes you have your health and your friends around you, that tells you maybe that hot guy or girl will finally talk to you. That's the voice we need to be listening to because it's the one that's going to get us forward in life and not terrify us at every job interview, first date or any other encounters we may come across in our lifetimes. Just take it 10 seconds at a time because anyone can do anything for 10 seconds, just be sure to start counting again when you reach 10.

Here to say it,
postgradgay

Memories That You Call // ODESZA

No comments:

Post a Comment